Above is the picture of Men's Fellowship Bible Class of First Baptist Church Chillicothe taken in 1928.
First Baptist Church Chillicothe, Missouri, was constituted on September 12, 1840. The congregation is affiliated with the Linn-Livingston Baptist Association, the Missouri Baptist Convention of Southern Baptists, and the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC).
Francis Preston, James Pennington, Isaiah Austin, Elijah Merrill, and James Merrill established the church at the house of Thos. Williams in Livingston county. The church called H.M. Henderson to become their pastor in May 1844. Within the first three years under Elder Henderson’s leadership, the church baptized 42 people and had twenty more people joined the church by letter. In 1850 the congregation joined the Christian Church congregation in worshipping in what was probably the first building used exclusively for church services in Chillicothe. In 1858 the congregation completed and dedicated their own building at the corner of Vine and Clay Streets in Chillicothe.
The church suffered its first split during the civil war when about a dozen Southern sympathizers separated themselves from the body to form Second Baptist Church, also referred to as Vine Street Baptist Church. This separation did not last long since in 1869 both churches agreed to bring about a union of the two. The Vine Street Church reorganized as the First Baptist Church of Chillicothe as one of the results of this union. God favored this union by blessing the church with 110 baptisms in two years, which doubled the church’s membership.
In 1965 the church purchased a lot at the corner of Bryan and Edgewood Drive. The church then started the construction of their new facility in 1967. Construction was finished and the church moved into its new building in 1968. This is the facility that the church is now using. Today, FBC is one of six SBC-affiliated churches in the Chillicothe, Missouri area.